Appliance Safety

Safe and Efficient Use of Your Appliances To get the most enjoyment out of your electric and natural gas appliances, operate them with these safety tips in mind.

To help avoid fires and severe burns:
  • Keep your appliances clean. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for care and operation.
  • In case of a grease fire, use a dry chemical fire extinguisher.
  • Warn your children not to play near gas appliances, especially fireplaces, stoves and ovens.
  • Because natural gas needs oxygen to burn properly, be sure to keep the area around your furnace and water heater clear of items that could block air circulation.
  • Keep paint, varnish, turpentine, glue, gasoline, cleaning fluids and other chemicals away from gas appliances so their vapors aren't ignited by the gas flame.
  • Do not store papers or anything flammable near an appliance or your furnace.

More safe operating ideas for your gas appliances:
  • Your natural gas appliances should have a clear, steady, blue flame. If the flame is mostly yellow, call a qualified contractor to adjust the gas.
  • If the burners or controls aren't working properly, or if they've been under water, don't relight the appliance yourself. Call a qualified contractor to relight them.
  • If the burner flame or pilot light goes out, turn off the gas. Wait five minutes to let the gas escape before relighting it. Follow relighting procedures on the appliance rating plate.
  • If gas continues to collect around the pilot light or burner, or if you have any doubt, don't relight it. Call a qualified contractor.